Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Closet Purging!

So...after declaring the need for a break, I ran into a week full of free time. What a blessing! Here's the post I've had on hold for awhile...and I've got another one ready to be put up in a few days! Just don't expect this new rate of posting to continue. :-)

Although it took some time, I finally got to the point of being willing to submit to God's guidance and change the way I dressed as He led. I knew some of what I needed to change, but I also needed help. PJ and I went through my closet, and he helped me to identify what I didn't need to be wearing as well as telling me why a specific item of clothing could cause problems for guys. I chose to get rid of these things instead of keeping them in my closet and being tempted to wear them.

In choosing what to keep and what to get rid of, there were a couple of basic rules that I went by. Please keep in mind that the goal of the rules was not to be legalistic but rather to establish a basic standard of modesty to which I could compare my clothing. In general: no shorts or skirts shorter than knee length and no shirts or dresses that were either strapless or had straps that did not cover the shoulders. These two standards laid out a pretty clear definition and were helpful in the closet purging.

What did I have that had to go? Tank tops, short workout shorts (cheer shorts), and dresses with thin straps. When all of these things were out of the closet, I sorted them again. If there was no way to wear them modestly, I got rid of them for good. I kept some long tank tops that are great for layering and some cheer shorts to sleep in. I still have a couple of dressy shirts that I won't wear by themselves but can be worn under something else like a cardigan.

It was hard to actually get rid of the clothes because I liked them, but I'm glad that I did. Even with the shirts that I kept to wear under other things, the temptation is still there to wear them as tank tops. If I still had all of the original clothes, it would be much more difficult to hold to the standards that I set.

Girls, remember that your beauty is powerful and is a gift. Who do you want to give the gift of your magnificent beauty to...every guy that sees you, or your husband? But what if you don't get married? Should you not worry about protecting your beauty now since you won't have someone to fully appreciate it? By no means. You are completely loved by Christ, and He will gladly accept the offering of your beauty even if He doesn't give you a husband in this life.

The following quote is one I found on The Modesty Survey in response to the question, "if you could say one thing to your sisters in Christ about modesty, what would it be?"
"Sisters in Christ, you really have no concept of the struggles that guys face on a daily basis. Please, please, please take a higher standard in the ways you dress. True, we men are responsible for our thoughts and actions before the Lord, but it is such a blessing when we know that we can spend time with our sisters in Christ, enjoying their fellowship without having to constantly be on guard against ungodly thoughts brought about by the inappropriate ways they sometimes dress. In 1 Corinthians 12 the apostle Paul presents believers as the members of one body - we have to work together. Every Christian has a special role to play in the body of Christ. That goal is to bring glory to the Savior through an obedient, unified body of believers - please don't hurt that unity by dressing in ways that may tempt your brothers in Christ to stumble."

I pray that you are blessed by his words. Look for another post coming soon!

4 comments:

Chris Krycho said...

Thanks for the update. I admire you immensely for taking the steps that you have to guard your brothers' hearts.

Blessed son of the King said...

Interesting title. It caused a coworker (a man about my age with a daughter close in age to my two daughters) to question the meaning, "somebody throwing up in the closet," he asked.
It provided the opportunity to explain in more detail to the whole room of coworkers what it was about.

Thank you for following the leading of the Holy Spirit in your actions. May you be blessed because of it.

Ame said...

Katie, I hopped over from David's blog, and I love this series. I spent sometime over at PJ's and you are an extremely beautiful young woman! What a blessing you are and will be to PJ :)

These choices you are making now are monumental. It is difficult for you to see a "bigger picture," but there is one, and you will be amazed at how these choices will mold and form you into the beautiful woman God created you to be and become before the foundation of the world.

Modesty is a very big thing for me, and I teach my daughters modesty all the time. My girls are 7 & 9 (although I'm the age of Chris' parents ;). When my Youngest watched High School Musical the first time she said, "Momma, I can be that kind of cheerleader because their outfits cover them!" I am thankful.

I don't simply teach them that it is inappropriate to dress in certain ways, I teach them why - that it causes boys and men to think things that God doesn't want them to think, and we do not want to be responsible for that!

It IS difficult to make these choices - especially when you have a body that can wear everything out there and wear it well - and I don't mean that anyway except what it is ... the truth.

It IS difficult to shop for cute clothes that are also modest. It is difficult for me to do that with my girls even at 7 & 9, and I am shocked, often, at what mothers let their little girls wear.

At a third grade performance first semester this year, one of the little 9 year olds stepped forward for her speaking part, and she was wearing black boots up to her knees with black knit tights and a black leather skirt and a fitted top with her hair pulled up and draped over her face just so. My eyes nearly bugged out of my head! She did NOT look 9.

My girls are beautiful, really, much more so than this momma cares to admit sometimes simply b/c it scares me out in the world. (There are mom's out there who compete with their daughters, especially when they reach their teen years - I know quite a few. I am thankful that is not an issue with me.)

I've noticed that from behind, a man could look at them (if they were not dressed modestly) and make them to be any age he desired in his mind.

My daughters need more young women like you to take a stand and make God-honoring choices in your appearance. Young girls always look up to older girls, and they notice what you wear, and they want to immitate you. You are a role model whether you choose to be or not to many young girls who are looking up to you and admiring you - especially since you are so beautiful with a warm and engaging smile. Not only will your choices create a "safe place" for men to be when they're around you, but they will also create a beautiful role model for little girls growing up to look up to. THANKS!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a message. You inspire me to keep hard in my walk with Jesus. : ) I hope we can hang out sometime if you're ever in Waco.

Alyssa