Tuesday, June 12, 2007

At Long Last...

So by a few days, I guess I meant two months between posts. With the end of a semester, finals, packing and moving PJ, his graduation, sending him to Africa, starting a job, getting adjusted to life at home, and wedding planning, let's just say life is full. And blessedly so! But I'm ready to finish up with the modesty series, so I hope to get the last posts out quickly (which for me probably means by the end of summer!) Anyway...here's the next one.

In the last post, I told you what I stopped wearing. Now it's time to find out why!
The things that I changed are clothes that are really common for girls to wear, but that doesn't mean that we should accept them without careful consideration (or at all...?). Also, I promise to provide wearable, real-life-tested alternatives to everything that I suggest that you consider changing.

About those tank tops...they were one of the hardest things to stop wearing. It's hot during the summer, and a lot of the cute tops are tank tops! PJ explained it to me like this: strapless tops are BAD for guys, spaghetti straps and other thin straps are better but in no way good (read: bad), and covering the shoulders is by far the best way to go. In general, tank tops equal more skin. More skin can very easily equal more lust, or at least temptation to lust that was triggered specifically by a clothing choice. Is it worth it? For me, that answer is no. According to The Modesty Survey, 57.6% of guys who took the survey agree that tank tops are generally immodest. 73.5% of them agree that halter tops are immodest. These numbers are high, and in general, the majority of guys would prefer to not see girls in tank tops. In contrast, 21.1% of guys consider sleeveless shirts (covering the shoulders but leaving the arms bare) immodest. We can consistently see that more material on top leads to less of a problem with immodesty.

What can you wear instead of tank tops? Wool parkas, of course. No? Ok...any other (modest!) short sleeved shirt. I switched my solid colored tanks for solid color t-shirts. I have not yet died of heat stroke. :-)

Shorts! To be fair, I really like wearing cheer shorts. They're great to sleep in, and I used to wear them to work out. At the gym today, every girl that I saw wearing shorts was wearing cheer shorts. (In case you have no idea what I'm talking about, click here.) But honestly, there's no good reason to be wearing shorts like this, and there are plenty of bad ones. First of all, that's a lot of bare leg. Second, shorts don't stay perfectly in place when you run or sit. That's more bare leg. Is it necessary?

83.8% of guys who took The Modesty Survey say that shorts above mid-thigh are immodest. Yep. Also, for those of us with long legs, remember that shorts on shorter girls aren't going to hit at the same place for taller ones. In general, I think it's a good idea to aim for lower thigh, which is going to cut out a lot of the typical work-out shorts.

Solution...boy shorts! No, I'm not kidding. My running shorts are from the boys' section, and they are one of the most comfortable things I own. Guys have the right idea when it comes to shorts...long and comfortable, not short, tight, and uncomfortable like so many girl shorts. I first bought boy shorts to wear on a mission trip, and I've loved them ever since. Give it a try. I promise you won't turn into a boy.

Good news! Long shorts and skirts (knee-length-ish) are in style right now! I love this trend, since it gives a good alternative to too-short shorts and pants in the summer. Girls, use this as an excuse to go shopping. Guys, support your girls in their quest for modesty. :-)

Coming up...the swimwear edition! It's been an interesting experience for me, and I can't wait to share it with you. Keep checking back...I do promise to finish this series!

In Him,
Katie

1 comment:

PJ King said...

"These numbers are high, and in general, the majority of guys would prefer to not see girls in tank tops."

or rather

"These numbers are high, and in general, the majority of [Christian] guys [who are trying to battle against lust] would prefer to not see girls in tank tops."

Looks great. I'll link back to all these when you finish.